Each year, as we study the origins of the English Language, my students invent their own words and we use a wiki to add to an ever-growing CrazyCollaborativeDictionaryProject. It is an online dictionary — with some podcasts by student word inventors – that grows by about 80 words every year, and allows for collaboration across time and space (cue: Star Trek theme). I had pitched the idea of finding words in a real dictionary to describe us Nerdy Book Clubbers but that struck me as boring almost as soon as I suggested it. Instead, I went to our Crazy Dictionary to find words invented by my students that might better describe either us or our book-loving mania. These are in alphabetic, not numerical, order. – Kevin
Bzeeb (2006) – The act of being cool.
- I know you are bzeeb, man, ‘cause you’re hanging out with other book lovers. I hope some of your bzeebiness flows to me, too. – Kevin
- I am often in this escallow zone, particularly when I am in a passage with something intense going on. I block out the entire world. You? — Kevin
- Sometimes, well, we get a little hungry. Particularly late at night. A book can be vey inviting and you might just get a little flibergish now and then. Spit out the punctuation, though. Those marks will give you indigestion! – Kevin
- WhenItypereallyfastsometimesmyfingersmovequickerthanmybrainandIcouldbeconsideredaKabanatthatmoment. (PS — it’s difficult to write like that!) – Kevin
- Our secret land is the world of literature. And our language is love. – Kevin
- Synonym: bzeeb. Example? The Nerdy Book Club. – Kevin
- Maybe, someday, the stories in our heads will just magically transform onto paper and bind itself up and present it to a reader. Until then, it’s all finger and toes. What? You don’t use your toes to write? – Kevin
- All you bibliophiles and wordieworders will no doubt scour the lexiconical world for other examples of large words. The largest word on our Crazy Dictionary is Aheolaphoalamprosolpooslopeleroadeasoloper (2005), which means very small dog. I know you wanted to know that. – Kevin
Zciwohcalism (2006) – The act of looking at the ceiling when thinking hard about something.
- I’m doing it right now as I write this post. You probably will do it, too. I even had a revelation: there’s a cobweb up there. – Kevin
- If there is ever a word that describes the appeal of the Nerdy Book Club, this is it. It’s a place of zenalania, and I am happy to be part of it. – Kevin
Kevin Hodgson teaches sixth grade and mostly uses simple words. He blogs at Kevin’s Meandering Mind (http://dogtrax.edublogs.org/)